Tuesday, March 08, 2005

What's an old man to do?

It's been a month since my last post. Sorry about that. It's been a bad month. To begin with, I've got involved in some volunteer work where I've made myself indispensable, so there are times in each month when I'm pretty busy. But besides that, an awful lot has happened.

To begin with, my wireless access point died. That meant that my laptops, on which I do my volunteer work, lost contact with the printers on the wired network. So I contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement, get on eBay to get a spare -- and see which one arrives first (the warranty replacement), and meanwhile rig the laptops into the wired network so I can keep on working.

Then my wife's computer quits, and won't restart. Won't even power up. After a while it's OK again, but then it quits again. After a couple of repeats of this I figure out that the fan in the power supply has seized; I can start it by pushing it with a pencil, but after a shutdown overnight it won't restart. So it's a trip to the local computer shop to get the power supply replaced so she can get on with her work.

Some time in the same month I broke a front tooth. Not an accident, just that my bite has been going off kilter and applying pressure to the tooth until the front surface came off. That took several trips to the dentist to get a temporary crown and several fittings and finally the permanent crown.

For the last several months we had been negotiating with workmen to get our kitchen cabinets refinished, and that job was scheduled for late February, so we spent the week before "Kramming the Kontents of our Kapacious Kitchen Kabinets into Kartons and Karting" them into the dining room and living room.

Then, the day the work on the kitchen started, my wife's centenarian mother died! So now we are moving stuff out of the assisted living place where she had spent the last few years, and trying to figure out where it will go. This, while moving our own stuff back into the kitchen.

Am I glad that month is over! We have our living room back (though not the dining room, and the garage is still a mess -- but it has been for months) and the kitchen is pretty near back to normal and we can get on with our lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home